Undergraduate teachingSurgery is one of the pillars of the Monash University medical degree. Monash students are fortunate to have access via their clinical schools to a world class surgical education, thanks in the most part to the commitment, experience and enthusiasm for teaching of hundreds of surgeons throughout Melbourne, regional Victoria and Malaysia. Elements of surgery are taught across all years of the program and at almost twenty clinical sites.
In 2016 Monash University appointed Mr Peter Evans and Mr Tristan Leech, both practising surgeons, to the position of Curriculum/Assessment Leads for Surgery.
We have embarked on a project to update and document the surgical curriculum into a format more useful to students and surgeon/teachers, review and develop assessment materials and develop new online learning modules accessible to all students to reduce the amount of doubling up on didactic teaching required at individual sites currently
This project is a collaboration between surgeons at all Monash University Clinical Schools and campuses, from Box Hill to Bendigo, Johor Bahru and beyond.
We are proud to announce the formation of the Surgery Discipline Reference Group (S-DRG) who will act as site-based curriculum and assessment advisors. In turn, they are inviting input from surgeons of all specialties at their sites to provide recommendations and content in specific areas of the curriculum. We have the full support of the Monash University and the Departments of Surgery at the various sites.
If you are passionate about surgical teaching and want to know more or get involved in this exciting and overdue modernisation of the curriculum content and delivery, please get in touch with us, or your local S-DRG representative. We’d love to hear from you!
- Peter Evans firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tristan Leech email@example.com
- Curriculum/Assessment Leads, Surgery
Central Clinical School
- The Alfred Hospital – Mr Simon Grodski
- Cabrini Hospital – Ms Kaye Bowers
- The Epworth – A/Prof Martin Richardson
- Frankston Hospital – Mr Tristan Leech
Clinical School Johor Bahru
- Johor Bahru – Mr Suneet Sood
Eastern Clinical School
- The Angliss, Box Hill Hospital, Maroondah Hospital - Mr Nigel Sacks
Rural Clinical School
- Bendigo Base Hospital - A/Prof Beth Penington
- La Trobe Regional Hospital - Mr Neil Jayasuriya
- Mildura Base Hospital – Mr Rotimi Afolabi
School of Clinical Sciences at Monash Health
- Dandenong Hospital – Mr Stephen Rodgers-Wilson
- Monash Medical Centre – Mr Mark Cullinan